Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Expresso CliQ modem -- my experience

Competition in the telecommunication industry in Ghana has been rife in the last couple of years, forcing telecom companies to strive to satisfy their customers. Customers now have a great deal of alternatives to choose from.
One area where competition has been keen is the provision of Internet/Web services. This is due to the fact that a great number of Ghanaians own mobile phones and PCs for personal use. This has seen the introduction of modems by these companies. A lot of grievances have been made by friends of mine who have used one or the other of these modems by the various telecom networks/companies.
Personally, I have used only two of such modems: the ones provided by the tigo and expresso networks; I must say I enjoy the expresso service better. A couple of reasons why:
- for the same data plan (eg. 1GB), expresso is cheaper (GH¢15 as compared to tigo's GH¢25).
- the connecivity of expresso is more stable and faster than that provided by tigo.
I am sure other users who have experienced the Internet/Web service provided by expresso may add reasons as to why or not they enjoy the service.
The last couple of days, however, have seen me undergo a negative experience with my CliQ modem.
I couldn't connect to the Internet albeit I had 300+MB of data usage left! I therefore recharged with an amount of GH¢5 and was able to connect. The same thing happened a while later -- I had 200+MB data usage left. I checked my credit balance and it was GH¢4.93. After another try, I was connected. Checking my balance after another disconnection showed I had 93MB left. I therefore decided to recharge with GH¢15 -- the required amount for the 1GB data plan. Surprisingly, my request for the data plan was not confirmed. . I was frustrated. I called the customer service and after a while I was connected.
I later conferred with a friend who apparently has had the same unfortunte experience. I believe this is one of the few cases expresso has to deal with. That notwithstanding, I think the Internet/Web service provided by expresso is among the best -- if not the best -- in Ghana.
I'm waiting for Globacom's Internet/Web service(s). Who knows, I may just be blown away.

4 comments:

  1. My brother, i have also used four different kinds of modems and i can strongly say that the Cliq is the best of them all. Is unfortunate you experienced such a challenge but i hope this will be resolved soon. MTN modem and internet services, the less about them the better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Tigo now and you will love it...
    Gh. 39.99 for 8.5GB of data.
    browse, download, stream unlimited for 1 month.

    Gh. 30.00 with the expresso cliq plan gives u only 2.5GB of data.

    A vast difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife is in Somanya Ghana and we need a unlimited stream for Skype or Yahoo Messenger. She is going to get the Expresso modem for her laptop but I don't know how many GB it takes. Can someone tell me what plan to buy?
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She may want to star with say something a little around 2GB, then she will have to check every now and again to see what the consumption is like.

      Delete